A classic of the Roman canon, the World famous Spaghetti Carbonara needs only a handful of ingredients so it's worth buying the best.
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
500g dried spaghetti
4 whole medium eggs
100g Pecorino Romano, grated
Lots of cracked black pepper
1. Bring a large cast iron stock pot full of water to boil. Season heavily with salt and cook the pasta according to packet instructions minus 2 minutes.
2. As the pasta cooks, roughly chop the guanciale. Add this to a cold cast iron skillet over a medium heat. As the pan warms the pork fat will begin to render and crispen.
3. While the guanciale cooks, crack and beat the eggs in a bowl. Add half of the cheese, a good pinch of pepper and set aside.
4. Once cooked, drain the pasta being careful to retain a cup of the starchy water.
5. Place cooked pasta back into the cast iron stock pot. Then add the eggy mixture, the cooked guanciale and a splash of the pasta water. Toss thoroughly without cooking the eggs.
6. Serve in bowls with more cheese and more pepper on top.